After three editions in Barcelona and Menorca, the course From the Desktop to the Stage: Writing and oral presentation of biomedical data returns to Pompeu Fabra University (UPF) as a summer course open to everyone. This training workshop deals with, firstly, basic skills and techniques for writing and publishing scientific papers in the field of biomedicine, and other issues close to the publishing world. On the other hand, it also deals with oral presentations, including both the purely scientific aspects and verbal expression, to the regulation of voice and body language, among other areas.
The course, which can go towards credits for college students, will take place from the 5th to the 16th September, from 5pm-8pm, at the Mar campus of UPF, and will be coordinated by Josep-Eladi Baños and Felix Bosch, from the Department of Health and Experimental Sciences.
1. General aspects of the spread and communication of science
2. Introduction to scientific writing
3. The original article
4. Manuscript preparation and submission
5. Ethical issues in scientific publication
6. Common language errors in biohealth
7. Peculiarities of English writing
8. English pronunciation
9. Keys of body language
10. Communication techniques
11. Planning for the oral presentation. Theoretical and practical aspects
12. Construction of an oral presentation. Practical aspects
13. Implementation and evaluation of presentations